Miles for money: 1700 miles in, 10th state : Traveling with Samantha ( 13 year old, 4 pound, toothless somewhat deaf Yorkie) and Puck ( 4 year old, 85 pound golden retriever)

 



Scott is 1700 miles into cycling, presently biking from Bethel Maine to Sidney Maine.  He is holding up great to the various challenges.  I have been asked to talk about how Samantha and Puck are doing!   I admit I was very worried about how traveling would be for the dogs. For Samantha, she loves car rides but I was worried about her age. She is a toothless, somewhat deaf 5-pound senior citizen but feisty as all get out and bossing us all.  Puck is your typical loving young golden retriever. At 85 pounds he just wants to be in your lap.  But he does not like car rides, and he needs the ability to run. So of course, I was concerned about how both would do on this trip.  

They are doing fantastic.  First, they love just being with us.  Puck seems to tolerate but not love the time in the truck.  Sammie loves it.  Puck sticks his head on the back seat and DOES NOT MOVE the whole time I am driving.  Sammie looks out all the windows and acts like she wants to tell me where to go.  

Both dogs are loving the campgrounds. We are somewhere new almost every day.  They do not seem to mind this at all, as the camper is familiar to them and has become home.  

Both dogs are loving the walks.  In the beginning I had to carry Sammie after the first 1/2 mile.  As of today, she is up to 2 miles!  That is a long distance on those little legs.   

Puck has also become my running mate.  I need the exercise for my mental and physical health, so Puck has been legging up with me.   

Both dogs also go on hikes with us.  We have so far only done easy hikes and we bring the backpack carrier with so Sammie can get a ride when she gets tired.  

I am grateful for their company.   During the day when Scott is biking, and I am working, the dogs keep me company.  I try to take a break to walk the dogs or go to a dog park so Puck can run off leash whenever possible too.    

One last thing we learned - bring original vaccination and rabies certificate with you when you travel.  We had to find a veterinarian on the road to get a new rabies original documents, as that is all some states parks (like in New York,) will take.   Thank you for following our progress, encouraging us, and sharing our mission! www.milesformoney.org. Katy and Scott, Samantha and Puck (or Big and Little as everyone who sees them comments!) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bike Faster Scott! Mayo report – new metastasis and radiation, slight delay

Mayo Visit January 3-4 2024 with Dr Kwon and his team

Cash Sweat and Tears award, Philly